:: SVERDLOV CLASS (1950-1955) ::

Sverdlov class cruiser (1950-1955) High resolution picture

The ships of the Sverdlov class, launched between 1950 and 1955, were the last conventional cruisers built for the Soviet Navy. Regarding armament and protection they compared unfavorably with the American contemporary counterparts of the Oregon City class. Still, they were powerful units gifted with good operational range and powerful antiaircraft armament, whose fire control directors were similar to those installed in German warships during the Second World War. These ships featured a very bulky bridge superstructure and conning tower and a network of rails in the aft deck to lay mines.

Seventeen units had their keel laid but only fourteen would be completed before Krushev ordered to discontinue the program. Ordzhonikidze was transferred to Indonesia and rebaptized as Iran in 1962, but she demonstrated to be a "white elephant" for such a country so she was later returned and scrapped. Admiral Nakhimov had an SS-N-1 antiship missile launcher installed in place of the turrets A and B in 1957. This installation was not successful and the ship was rapidly decommissioned and finally used as a target ship in 1961.

Meanwhile Dzerzhinsky had her turret X replaced by a twin launcher for surface-to-air missiles SAN-2 Guideline, installation that resulted unsuccesful as well. Her armament of antiaircraft cannons was modified and the communication systems were improved in 1972. Admiral Senyavin and Zhdanov, turned into command ships, had their turret X replaced by a hangar for a helicopter and were fitted with a SA-N-4 surface-to-air missile system.

Sverdlov class: 14 units - Admiral Lazarev, Admiral Nakhimov, Admiral Senyavin, Admiral Ushakov, Aleksandr Nevsky, Aleksandr Suvorov, Dmitry Pozharsky, Dzerzhinsky, Mikhail Kutuzov, Murmansk, Oktyabrskaya Revolyutsia (ex Molotovsk), Ordzhonikidze, Sverdlov, Zhdanov

Type: Cruiser

Length: 210 meters

Beam: 22 meters

Draught: 7.5 meters

Displacement (standard): 15700 tonnes

Propulsion: 2 x shaft, 2 x steam turbine, 6 x boiler, 130000 horsepower

Speed: 34 knots (63 kilometers/hour)

Range: 8700 nautical miles (16112 kilometers) at 18 knots

Complement: About 1000

Armament (as built): 12 x 152-millimeter 57-caliber cannon, 12 x 100-millimeter 70-caliber cannon, 32 x 37-millimeter cannon, 10 x 533-millimeter torpedo tube, 150 mines

Armament (in 1972): 9-12 x 152-millimeter 57-caliber cannon, 12 x 100-millimeter 70-caliber cannon, 16 x 37-millimeter cannon, 8 x 30-millimeter cannon (Admiral Senyavin), 1 x twin SA-N-4 missile launcher (Admiral Senyavin and Zhdanov), 1 x helicopter (Admiral Senyavin and Zhdanov)

Armor: 100-125 millimeters in belt, 40-50 millimeters in ends, 25-50 millimeters in upper deck, 50-75 millimeters in main deck, 125 millimeters in main turrets

~ Return To Cruisers ~

~ Return To Military Ships ~